September 22, 2017
BLESSED SACRAMENT CATHOLIC SCHOOL
“A NATIONAL SCHOOL OF CHARACTER”
ATTENDANCE LINE: (801) 572-0251, please be sure to call the attendance line by 8:00am.
Today is the feast of St. Matthew. St Matthew was not someone you would expect to be called by Jesus to follow Him. No one was more shunned by the Jews than a publican. A publican was a Jew working for the Roman enemy, someone often guilty of extortion through taxation, guilty of exhorting his own people and making a large personal profit. Publicans were not allowed to trade, eat, or even pray with others Jews. St. Matthew was a publican.
Jesus looked at Matthew and said two words: “Follow me.” This was all that was needed to make Matthew rise, leaving his pieces of silver to follow Christ. St. Matthew’s original name, “Levi,” in Hebrew signifies “Adhesion” while his new name in Christ, Matthew, means “Gift of God.” Jesus explained that he had come “not to call the just, but sinners.”
DID YOU KNOW:
- Can you believe that we have already made $12,039 in our Fall Fundraiser? We are more than halfway to our goal and have already earned 20 extra minutes of recess! The movie and popcorn are ready for our next goal of $15,000. I am getting a little nervous about the $20,000+ I guess I better look for my tent and warm sleeping bag.
- We need volunteers for lunch! 11-12:45. Come for all of it or come for part. We would love to have a few more parents. Grandparents, aunts, uncles come and help with the children at lunch. Both inside and outside help needed.
- We have two paid positions available in the Lunchroom. If you, or someone you know, family, friends, is available daily between the hours of 11:45am and 12:45pm, please call us at 801-572-5311. This is a wonderful opportunity to be a part of your student’s day.
- Safety is a priority at Blessed Sacrament Catholic School. Please remember to follow the drive pattern and use the crosswalks when entering school.
- What an amazing day we experienced! Grandparents and grand-friends are awesome! We had over 150 visitors celebrating Mass, touring the school, and enjoying a very nice lunch. Thank you Mrs. Pickers and your entire crew for orchestrating this annual event.
Peace and blessings,
Bryan Penn, M.S.Ed.L
All Catholic 2nd graders who wish to receive First Communion at Blessed Sacrament please fill out the yellow registration, a copy of Baptismal certificate and fees to cover books and supplies. Forms are due Monday, September 25th . You may turn them in to Ms. Darling or to the Parish Office. Mandatory Parents meeting will be held at the Parish Center Sunday, October 8th in room 1.
Substitute Teachers Needed
– If you are interested in helping support the teaching staff and Blessed Sacrament School by being available to substitute in any of our classrooms, please visit or call the office at 801-572-5311. A teaching certificate is not required.
Boosters and Car Seats – Utah law states that children under the age of 8 must ride in a vehicle with a car seat or booster placed in rear seating. While not illegal, it is RECOMMENDED that children under the age of 12 ride in back seating of the vehicle. To ensure the safety of every student, please check that family members and authorized persons for pick-up adhere to Utah State Law. https://www.dmv.org/ut-utah/safety-laws.php
Free Family Passes to U of U Women’s Volleyball – Stop in at the office and ask for your free pass! Tell your student to ask for them in the office as well.
BoxTops Collect and save BoxTops. Our first collection will be in October. It’s amazing how easily they add up.
29th Annual Bulldog Boogie 2017: Friday, September 22
“Blast From the Past”
Calling ALL Youth, ages 5 and up! Come participate in this high-energy, fun event and perform the “Bulldog Boogie” during halftime of the Judge Memorial varsity football game. Judge students from the Dance and Cheer programs serve as choreographers and coaches. Clinics will be held September 19, 20, and 21 from 5-6:30P at Judge Memorial. Halftime performance will be the evening of, Friday, September 22. A registration fee of $30 includes a commemorative Bulldog Boogie T-Shirt. Click Here for details and to register or visit: http://www.judgememorial.com/apps/pages/bulldogboogie
Paderewski Festival – Piano and Chamber Music Competition 2017
Sponsored by the Gifted Music School, this event will celebrate Paderewski’s legacy and keep it alive. Visit this link for more information.
Bobcat News! – August!
Students will explore new art forms, mediums and create art that cannot be worked on in a normal class period. Come join the fun!
We will meet Tuesdays (see dates below) after school from 3-4. Please pick-up children promptly at 4pm. After 4pm your children will be enrolled in Little Blessings.
Please submit the form with a check made out to Blessed Sacrament School for $20. Space is limited to 12 students.
Dates for Art Club are: 10/17/17, 10/31/17, 11/14/17, 11/28/17, 12/12/17, 12/19/17
is coming! Fun and creative educational activities are planned for every student who joins. Register your student today! Secret Agent Lab begins Monday, September 25th.
Chess Club will help students to develop effective strategy and strengthen problem-solving skills. And, it’s fun! Sign-Up online today. Questions? Email email@example.com or call Matt at 801-589-4279.
begins at Blessed Sacrament on Wednesday, September 27th. Sign-up online here. Putting, chipping, fundamentals of the golf swing, etiquette, and much more will be covered during the five-week program.
Chorus begins after school on Wednesday, October 25th. Return the Permission Slip with registration fee with your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grader today.
Still curious about….Musical Instruments? Karate? Band? Asbestos? Soccer? Follow the links for information.
Calling all Superheroes!
We have reached the midpoint of our Fall Fundraiser Super Hero Fun Run. Thanks to our super heroic families and friends, we have surpassed our first goal of $10,000 and our students have earned 20 extra minutes at recess. Please keep those sponsorships coming in!
Check your emails for your students links, kick off their project with your donation and then click on the social share icons to share on social media!
We need volunteers to help make this a success!
- Super Hero Fun Run Sept 29th – We are looking for volunteers to set up, supervise children, count laps, clean up, etc. Sign-Up here!
- If you have any questions please contact the HSA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are excited to share a healthy lunch offering from Utah Community Action for Blessed Sacrament School. When ordering, be sure to note the First and Last Name of your student, as well as their Grade in the box stating “Add additional note to merchant (optional).” Please use this box to direct lunch to your student by adding the name and grade of each student you are purchasing lunch for. It is important to specify “Double” if your student requests a second lunch. Totals will reflect the number of lunches you have ordered. All orders must be completed online by midnight the night before to receive a lunch, or to request a lunch be canceled. If you know your student will not attend school the next day, please visit Blessed Sacrament School Lunch Program before midnight to make changes. (The monthly purchase option will no longer be available.)
Monday, September 25th – Coconut Curry Chicken, Brown Rice, Green Beans, and Pears with Milk
Tuesday, September 26th – Sliced Chicken, Whole Wheat Bun, Celery, Sun Butter, and an Orange with Milk
Wednesday, September 27th – Bolognese Beef, Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta, Carrots, and an Apple with Milk
Thursday, September 28th – Turkey Meatballs, Whole Wheat Hoagie Roll, Peas and Carrots, and Cantaloupe with Milk
Friday, September 29th – Bring a lunch, please.
Follow us on FACEBOOK Facebook